The cookoovaya


Here is a picture of our little friend the cookoovaya, aka the small ground dwelling owl.  I took this picture of him around dusk as he was flitting about in the brush just below our studios.  I would have tried to get closer, but the embankment is steep and full of extremely thorny plants.  Andrea and I have both tumbled into these shrubs before, and it is certainly not a pleasant experience.  Actually many of the scrubby plants in Astypalaia are fierce and prickly.

Owls are important creatures in Greek mythology.  The goddess Athena is often depicted with her companion owl who gave her the gifts of wisdom as well at strategy.  Ancient lore says that a large number of owls lived at the base of the Acropolis and they were venerated due to their association with Athena.

Some of the locals thought I was a bit crazy for trying so hard to get a picture of the cookoovaya. After all it was just an owl.  

If you are in Greece, at dusk you may hear a strange high pitched bird call.  Look around close to the ground and you may spot the cookoovaya.

By the way, I understand that The Cookoovaya is also a posh eatery in Athens.  I have never been, but may check it out if I find myself in Athens with a bit of time on my hands.

More soon.

Comments

Popular Posts