Boys Will Be Boys

Try not to be jealous, but this is the view from my balcony. The house that we rented is way up high in the Chora, nestled underneath the ruins of a medieval castle. I know, it seems like a fairy tale.

While I was admiring the various shades of blue and green water rippling in the breeze, I noticed some swimmers rounding the rocky point.

So I got out my binoculars to see what was what. It was at that moment that I saw each boy climb out of the sea and onto the spine of rocky coastline. Single file they climbed up the rock face. I thought they would go all the way to the top, but then one of them leapt back into the sea. His companions raised their arms up overhead and roared with approval.

I was not so sure about the wisdom of the jump off. As you can see there are lots of rocks underwater at various depths. I told Andrea to get her phone out in case we had to call the paramedics. Luckily every boy survived intact, and they all made several thrilling jumps into the blue green water. Now they had a feat of bravery, or stupidity, that they could share with anyone who would listen.

Astypalaia's coastline is ringed with rocky outcroppings and small intimate beaches. The problem is accessing them without killing yourself by tripping over a rock or impaling yourself on a fierce scrubby plant with thorns.

I'm going to try to get down there in a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes.

More soon.

   


Comments

Popular Posts