I've finally arrived in Athens! Unfortunately I didn't get a wink of sleep during the seventeen hours it took me to get here.

Didn't want to trudge up to the Acropolis on my first day, but did it anyway to take advantage of cloudy skies and cool temperatures. The site is still being constructed and reconstructed, you have to really work to snap a photo without scaffolding or cranes. Oh, by the way, if you ever visit the Acropolis wear shoes with gripping soles, as the worn marble is as slippery as ice. I saw several people go down hard.

Go into the Plaka for lunch or dinner and witness the best, or most bizarre, show in town. Each taverna has a "front man" who will chase you down the street extolling the virtues of his gyros and souvlaki. They size you up and start speaking to you in whatever language they think you speak. I've been solicited in English, Italian and French so far. I came across one today from New York City claiming that his previous gig was selling sub prime mortgages for Lehman
Brothers.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts