Pedestrians Beware


Every once in awhile when I am in Greece I rent a car. I am always the driver, as all cars are a manual transmission, and I am the only one with stick shift skills. There are no automatic cars for rent on the island, you must drive a manual transmission on extremely steep, and often dirt, roads. I consider it an act of bravery on my part, because the roads are narrow, without guard rails, and clogged with oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

You can see how narrow the streets are in this video.  The street I am driving on is one way now, but in previous years it was a two way street. If drivers cannot squeeze past one another, one person is forced to back up until they find a turnout.  I am notoriously horrible at driving in reverse, so sometimes Andrea has to get out of the car to direct me, or to negotiate with the oncoming driver.  She explains that I am a tourist etc...

This year my car rental experience has been different.  Not only were we met at the airport by the rental company, but I was not required to sign a contract or show my driver's license! I was told to just stop by the office to pay after my three day rental period had expired. Easy peasy! Andrea and I were so tickled.  Folks here on the island are so familiar with us that we got to forgo the formalities and paperwork.  Made us both smile.

Anyway, enjoy the video of Andrea and I cruising through the port. We most definitely were on our way to Steno Beach for our day off.

More soon.

Comments

  1. After a ride like that I would need a bottle of wine. Thanks Andrea for helping my daughter drive you are brave. Love Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts