Greek Driving Skills


Saturday we rented a car so that we could roam far and wide around the island.  We only have a car for three or four of the days that we are here, so we try to make the most of them.  

I am always the driver, and Andrea is the navigator, as all rental cars on the island have a manual transmission and Andrea does not know how to drive a stick.  I will tell you that driving here can be a bit terrifying, as the streets are narrow, extremely steep, and usually filled with pedestrians, cars and motor bikes.  The terrain is not only steep, but often not paved, especially the roads to the beaches. I tell Andrea to hold on, as I gun it to build up speed to get to the top of the hill.  Throw a few hairpin turns in there and it is definitely Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Mind you, my car has very little power, it is a Fiat Panda.

This video was taken on our drive out of town.You can see how narrow the street is, more like an alley than a road.  Can you believe that guy passed me on the left hand side, as if it were a freeway. I am constantly dodging poorly parked cars, people, cats and oncoming traffic. It is a bit better outside of town, but not much.

I managed not to ding anyone, what a feat!

More soon.

Comments

  1. WOW you need a badge for driving and Andrea needs a badge for riding with you I think I have gotten out. I think the both of you had a good day did Andrea venture into the water. Stay safe Love Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you need a badge for driving and Andrea needs a badge for riding with you I think I have gotten out. I think the both of you had a good day did Andrea venture into the water. Stay safe Love Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took videos like that in Tuscany and so glad I did. Wished I’d taken more’people’ videos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts