Scotch on the beach




I know that many field schools have tough conditions, but for the most part it is pretty cushy here. This is a shot of Ammos cafe, a waterfront high end establishment in Livadi. As I write, I'm sitting here sipping a glass of high end Scotch. I'm celebrating surviving three weeks of field school.

Tourists and locals are approaching us as we trudge around town, asking us a million questions about what the archaeologists are doing up on the hill. I politely inform them of our activities and dissuade them from dropping in unannounced, that privilege is reserved for the mayor and his entourage.

They have decided to let us take pictures in the lab, as long as we don't zoom in on the remains, so I may be able to post photos of the school and the work that we do next week.

Saw the greatest thing this week, but I didn't have a camera. The island roads are so steep, that when trash day comes people have invented an ingenious way to bring their cans back up the hill. One guy gets on a motorcycle and he drags the can with one hand and drives with the other. Quite a sight.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts