Brexei- It's raining.


I have been traveling to Astypalaia in the summer for several years now, and have never seen rain fall from the sky. Today, on the day that my flight was due to leave it started to rain.

We usually get up at 5:30am to be to work at 7:00am.  As I was sitting outside sipping my morning coffee and watching the clouds move in over the mountains, I thought I saw a flash of lightning. Inconceivable! I decided that it was early and that I was tired and therefore seeing things.  I went on with my day.

Then, while we were hard at work, there was a great clap of thunder followed by big fat raindrops.  Several project members went out to play in the rain, especially as it had been brutally hot and humid over the last week or so.  More lightning and thunder followed.

Our dear friend and resident Greek archaeologist suggested that this was a sign from Zeus, and that he was throwing lightning bolts as sign that we should not leave the island.  Her pronouncement was quickly followed by a power outage that set off all of our security alarms. Yikes, Zeus must be particularly unhappy.

Andrea and I finished our work, which included doing lunch dishes for about 30 people, and headed back down the hill to finish packing for our flight.  As I was quite wet from the lunch dishes I decided to throw my clothes out on the patio to dry. I then went inside to take a shower.

While I was in the shower another cloudburst came and soaked my clothes with rain, making them wetter than they originally were.  So I ended up packing wet clothes into my suitcase and hauling them back to LA. Ick!

Still it was an amazing sight to see rain actually fall from the sky in Astypalaia. Maybe Zeus was telling me it was time to go home.

More soon.


Comments

Popular Posts