Water


Of course you know that it is very hot in Greece in the summer, but this year when we arrived in Astypalaia it was down right sizzling. Not even a hint of a breeze was stirring, and the ocean looked like glass.  Of course I had a way of making our first two days even warmer.

The first thing that I did when I entered our studio apartment was to turn on the AC, at least that is what I thought I was doing.  It didn't get cooler in our studio over night.

The next evening, as we worked all day, I endeavored to find the landlord to tell her that our AC was broken.  She came over at around 9 pm. We were sitting out on our patio with a friend who was pirating our Wi-Fi.  It was too warm in the studio to sit indoors and chat.  Everyone was yelling about how hot they were, the two Greeks were also using hand gestures. Well, it turns out I was running the heater instead of the AC. Adding insult to injury was the fact that the remote was in English and I would have seen my mistake had I bothered to put on my reading glasses.  I felt old and stupid in one fell swoop. 

Anyway, Andrea and I were so overheated that we were drinking copious amounts of water.  Usually we lug these super heavy six packs of 1.5 liter bottles from the supermarket back to our studio on foot The six pack weigh about 20 pounds each, and we carry them for a quarter mile or so. I toted the first one in the unbearable heat and decided to look for a new solution.  '

The next day we went back to the super market and Andrea politely asked the shopkeepers, in Greek, if they could deliver six of these six packs to us. We would have thirty six 1.5 liter bottles.  Low and behold they were able to accommodate our request! The above photo of our water hoard is taken from our patio with the sea in the background.

The folks at the bakery across the street were laughing so hard at us for ordering such a large quantity of water.  They wanted to know if we were going to bathe in it.  I just might.

More soon.


Comments

  1. You two have got it all figured out and it only took 6 trips to the Island Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts