Red onions

Here I am in one of the local fruit/veggie stores picking out red onions from a big sack on the floor for my Greek salad. Crates of produce are stacked on the floor and you just sort through and pick what you like, almost like an open air market. One of the stores differentiates island grown and imported produce in the following manner. Locally grown items are stacked in crates in the center of the floor, and imported goods line the periphery. Refrigerated cases are scarce, but also usually house imports.



Local restaurant owners shop here as well as tourists. The other day a whole crate of green beans was whisked away in an instant. Today we were introduced to the owner of the local Italian place who was choosing items for tonight's menu. Greeks have dinner late, they start around 9 or so. One place nearby is open until 3am. I'm going to bed when most locals are getting ready for dinner, but I have to get up at 5:30 am.



You gotta love my farmer's tan in this picture. I'm working on correcting it.



More later

Comments

Popular Posts