Transatlantic

I have been reading the novel Transatlantic for the last week or so. The book chronicles the experiences of various people who cross the Atlantic for one reason or another. My reason for crossing the ocean is to work on a unique bioathropology project. Like so many others before me, I come to Greece to excavate artifacts from the past. Actually, almost everywhere you step in Greece you are likely to stumble upon artifacts like pot handles, tiles and even bones. Ancient history and the present blend together here.



It is a long journey, and when I arrive in Astypalaia I know that I am not in Kansas anymore.



Here is a shot of us arriving at the one room Astypalaia airport (JTY). Yes, we did indeed fly in on a prop plane with 40 or so other people. The plane comes three or four times a week to Astypalaia, so if you miss your flight you might be hanging around for a few days.



This lone man was our welcoming committee, quite the opposite of LAX.



My favorite thing about JTY is that they still use handwritten boarding passes.



Why did you cross the Atlantic? You might have an interesting story to tell.

Comments

Popular Posts