Water

One of the best things about visiting Astypalaia is that you are surrounded by beautiful water. Some days I slog through database entries, knowing that in the afternoon the sea is waiting for me. The water is so clear, and in various shades of blue and green. It looks like a sheet of colored glass when the wind is still. Unfortunately this summer the wind never seems to be still.



The picture is of some people tanning themselves in the little cove below our studios. I got this picture using my handy polarizing filter, it is like polarized sun glasses for my camera. Look how clear the water is, you can see the rocks on the ocean floor. This beach is more accessible by water than by land, however we did hoof it down there once. It is a gravelly steep incline more suited to sheep/goat than humans. There is a tiny black sand beach tucked in under the cliff. We got there at high tide, so we were more confined to the rocks.



There are many cozy little beaches like this hidden around the island. I wanted to rent a car and drive to some of them, but driving here is a bit dangerous if you are not a local.



More soon.

Comments

Popular Posts