Astypalaia 2012


I'm returning to the Greek island of Astypalaia in the Aegean Sea, and have decided to blog about my adventure.  My travel dates are 7/5-7/29.

Fortunately this time I will not have to travel alone from LA to Greece.  Andrea (a fellow UCLA bone lady) and I will venture forth together and share a studio apartment on the island.  We will be returning as volunteers on a bioarchaeology project run by University College London.  Excavating, identifying and recording human remains from cemeteries on the island will be our main task.

As many of you will remember from previous posts in 2010, I complained a great deal about scaling the hill at 6:30 am sans breakfast.  The above is a great photo of the hill.  Our studios were in that green area on the lower left of the picture.  Every morning we would trek up that small ribbon of road that you can see, all the way to the top where the Venetian castle sits.  Great view from the top, but it takes a bit of effort to get there.

This time our studio is about half way up the hill, rather close to one of the local bakeries. We should have a view of the sea from our patio,  I'll be sure to post some pictures after we settle in.

Feel free to contact me by email or Skype if you have questions or just want to stay in touch.

More to come
CB



Comments

Popular Posts