Funeral




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


One of the first posts I did was of a wedding party, and as I leave the island I will post about a funeral. The other day we heard the bells ringing at an odd time, and soon we found out that someone had died. The above pictures are of the priest and a few of the mourners as they made their way back down the hill to their homes after the ceremony.

Seeing the priest reminded me of one of Simon's Greek lessons, which I loved. The word liturgy, which today is associated with religion, originates from the Greek language. The word is "leitourgia" which was originally a service performed by a citizen, it could have been a public work, not necessarily religious work. It then became associated with the work that Orthadox priests perform. However, I have also learned that it can also mean "does it work"? You can point to an elevator and ask "leitorgia"? So that is your ancient Greek lesson for the day about the modern word liturgy.

These photos also give you a good idea about how steep the hill is, and how the narrow streets are shared pedestrians, motorcycles and cars.

CB

Comments

Popular Posts