Honey




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Here is a picture of some bee boxes on the island. We had to hoof it through the scrub a bit to get close enough to photograph these. Bees were swirling around our heads. Honey is an Astypalaian specialty, the honey has a distinct flavor that is hard to describe. I've heard that thyme is responsible for the taste, but I haven't seen any thyme growing on the island. Bees do cluster on some of the spiky fierce plants clinging to the hillsides.

Greeks have a sweet tooth, and several delicacies are made with honey. My favorite is pouggia, which are little filo pastries filled with goat cheese, honey and cinnamon. Locals tell us that the treats are named for the little coin purses that old ladies stick in their bras to keep money safe. I was thrilled when a hot tray of them arrived at the lab one day, they were prepared by the mom of our resident Greek archaeologist.

Loukamades are also a favorite, although I've never tried them. They are deep fried doughnut holes drenched in honey or nutella. Seems a bit over the top.

My next adventure in honey will be raki, which is a spirit made with thyme liquor and honey. I understand that you either love it or hate it, I'll give it a whirl.

Of course baklava is the most famous Greek honey dessert. It is sweet!! I can only eat it if I have unsweetened Greek coffee. Miraculously I've been here two weeks and have been able to completely avoid it.

More soon
CB

Comments

Popular Posts