Laundry




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Everybody hangs their laundry out to air dry on Astypalaia. With the intense sun, heat and wind it is sometimes completely dry in an hour or two. Some people use racks like the one in the photo, but many people just hang it out on a line at their house.

I enjoy seeing the black dresses of the older ladies hanging out all in a row, fluttering in the breeze. Unfortunately I couldn't find any to take a picture of, they will probably all do their laundry tomorrow. You'll have to settle for these cute kiddie clothes.

We have been doing our washing by hand in a small bucket and then hanging it out to dry on a rack on our patio. We use a local detergent called Soflan. It smells great, and gets rid of the grunge we acquire in the lab.

I had tons of laundry on Sunday, and the owner took pity on me and let me hang it on the lines where the cleaning ladies pin up all of the sheets and towels. Andrea says I brought too many clothes, but I think that I packed really light, and I've been wearing the stuff that I brought. I even have a special green tank top to wear at the open house in the lab on Saturdays.

Time is growing short for us on the island, so I don't anticipate doing any more washing by hand. I miss my washer and dryer.

More soon
CB

Comments

Popular Posts